10 deadly plants that is commonly found in our homes
Plants are helpful when put inside houses – they purify the air surrounding them, provide oxygen and make our homes more comfortable to live in.
But, they are some plants that may do more damage than good. They are very dangerous and should not be put inside the house.
If you have these plants you should throw it away immediately because it might endanger your family especially the little kids and pets.
Here’s a list of the 10 deadly plants which you need to remove from your home immediately:
1.Water Hemlock (Cicuta Maculata)
You should know that this dangerous plant is related to the poison hemlock, which was used to kill Socrates in ancient times. You should know that water hemlock is a large wildflower from the carrot family and it’s similar to Queen Anne’s lace by appearance. This plants looks like parsnips or celery. This plant is really dangerous and if it’s indigested it can cause side effects, even death. Water hemlock contains a deadly cictutoxin which is mostly concentrated in its roots and its consequences are felt almost immediately after exposure. Symptoms form water hemlock poisoning are painful convulsion, abdominal cramps, nausea and the most fatal cases result in death. People who’ve survived this type of poisoning often experience amnesia and lasting tremors.
2.Deadly Nightshade (Atropa Belladonna)
Have you ever heard of the legend – the Macbeth’s soldiers poisoned the Danish invaders with wine spiced with the sweet fruit of the Belladonna? This plant has sweet taste and berry-like fruits, which are usually responsible for most cases of poisoning. You should know that this dangerous plant is native to the wooded areas in central and southern Europe and Asia and it has dull green leaves and black cherry-sized berries. Atropine and scopolamine are the poisons responsible for its toxicity, and they can be found in its stems, leaves, fruits and even roots. The poison, if ingested, causes paralysis of the involuntary muscles, including the heart, which can quickly have deadly consequences. It’s so poisonous that even if your skin comes in contact with the plant it can become irritated and inflamed.
3.White Snakeroot (Ageratina Altissima)
First, you should know that this poisonous plant is native to North America. White snakeroot is a plant with flat-topped clusters of small white flowers, containing a toxic alcohol, called trematol. This herb is responsible for the death of Nancy Hawks, Abraham Lincoln’s mother. The worst thing about white snakeroot is that you don’t have to ingest it directly to be poisoned, Nancy died from drinking the milk of a cow that consumed this plant before that. This means that even the meat and milk from poisoned cattle can have deadly consequences if ingested. The most common symptoms of white snakeroot “milk poisoning” include loss of appetite, nausea, weakness, abdominal discomfort, red tongue, abnormal acidity of the blood, and eventually death. So, all farmers are warned about the toxicity of this deadly plant and they all try to remove this dangerous plant from their pastures.
4.Castor Bean (Ricinus Communis)
This type of plant is usually grown as an ornamental plant due to its attractive looks and it’s native to Africa. You’ve probably heard about castor oil, right? The castor oil is produced from processed seeds, but before processing the beans contain a poison called ricin which is extremely deadly even in very small amounts. You should be very careful, because just one or two seeds are enough to kill a child while just eight seeds can easily kill an adult person. Ricin prevents the synthesis of proteins within cells and can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and lead to death.
5.Rosary Pea (Abrus Precatorius)
This her is also known as jequirity beans. It contains abrin, which is an extremely deadly ribosome-inhibiting protein. You should know that this plant is native to tropical areas and is often used in jewelry and prayer rosaries. It’s kind of weird that if the seeds aren’t damaged they are not poisonous, but if they are somehow scratched, broken, or chewed – they can can be deadly. Just three micrograms of abrin are enough to kill an adult, which is less than the amount of poison in one seed, and it is said that numerous jewelry makers have poisoned themselves and even died after accidentally puncturing their fingers while working with the seeds. And, just like ricin, abrin prevents protein synthesis within cells and can cause organ failure within four days.
6.OLEANDER (NERIUM OLEANDER)
Oleander is a beautiful plant with striking flowers. All the parts of this plant are deadly, because they are full with lethal cardiac glycosides – oleandrin and neriline. If it is consumed, this plant can cause diarrhea, vomiting, seizures, erratic pulse, coma and at the end death.
Poison from the oleander is so strong that some people have become sick after eating honey from bees that visited oleander flowers. Fortunately, this plant is very bitter, so the poisoning is very rare.
7.TOBACCO (NICOTIANA TABACUM)
Tobacco is the most grown commercial plant in the world. All the parts of the tobacco, especially the leaves, contain nicotine and anabasine, the toxic alkaloids that can be fatal if they are eaten. Despite the fact that is labeled as a cardiac poison, nicotine is consumed around the world. Tobacco is perhaps most deadly plant because it causes 5 million deaths every year in the world.
The Angel Trumpet is native to South America’s forests and it is full with atropine, hyoscyamine, and scopoalamine that is mind altering. This plant is less dangerous itself, but can be turned in a biological weapon by humans. The documentary “Colombian Devil’s Breath” from 2007 screened the stories where the Angel Trumpet was used by criminal gangs to make living zombies from the victims –literally. They refined scopolamine, which acts like “hypnotizing herb” and makes the victims to be unaware of their actions, but completely conscious at the same time. People that volunteer in some experiments injured themselves due to their psychotic state.
Spurge Laurel is related to the Bay Leaf, and can be found in public grounds and ornamental gardens. This plant contains powerful biocides that cause irritation and blistering if the plant is cut. But if its berries are consumed it will cause major internal bleeding and of course organ failure and death after several hours.
Some tribes have used this plant as a drug for seriously ill patients.
In the Oak woodlands of Western North America, there are edible bulbs also known as Camas. But, there is Toxicoscordion venenosum, the most toxic plant that looks similar to edible Camas. The Death Camas has different coloration. Consuming the smallest amount can result with organ failure, blood disturbance and unfortunately, death.
SOURCE: NATIONS PRESS